Sunday, September 26, 2010

Missy Semicolon....

Although I am fully cognizant and deeply compassionate about the extinction of whales, sea turtles, etc., I am, as a writer, distressed about the disappearing act of Missy Semicolon....

In general the semi-colon (;) functions as a weak period or as a strong comma. As a weak period the semi-colon corresponds to a fading pause and full stop in speech similar to but perhaps not quite as final as that represented by a period.  As a strong comma the semi-colon corresponds to a rising or sustained pause in speech possibly longer or slightly more definitive than that represented by a comma.

All that to say, I have noticed when reading today's media prints: newspapers and magazines;  the semicolon has been ousted for the likes of a dash (-) when, clearly, the 'sassier' of colons (the semicolon) would warrant her proper place in punctuation by being admitted into the sentence's structure.

I suspect the culprit of this phenomenon has something to do with the distinction and nuance of a 'fading pause' or the 'rising or sustained' speech that accompanies the proverbial usage of such a semicolon.  There is too much 'speed' in today's pace to warrant one's mindful attention to pauses and rising or sustaining speech. The beauty of speaking with 'right attention' has all but been lost among the rush of hurriedly babbling , thrusting one's communication, at another, with careless tempo's and cadences.

I, for one, immensely enjoy the lilting tones of word and sentence construction. I don't consciously think of this when speaking, as it comes somewhat naturally to someone like myself, who listens for the melody in communication.  I notice some people bark and some people sing when speaking...I think Shakespeare is a 'singer'; much like my beloved writer: Leonard Cohen.  George Bush barks and Obama sings....Walter Cronkite; a singer.  Rush Limbaugh; a barker. At the risk of sounding political: most
Democrats sing and most Republicans bark. who'da thunk?

I digress and implore you to be more mindful of your speaking style, writing style and correct punctuation....I do not convey this with a bark but sorely miss the literary song of Missy Semicolon.

Gracie Garp

1 comment: