Thursday, September 9, 2010

Evacuation....

Hmmm, my neighborhood has just been given notice 'urging' us to be ready for a 'possible' evacuation due to the fires (and high winds) surrounding the foothills of Boulder.

What to take?  I realized there were actually very few 'priceless' items that I would want to keep safe.
For those of you who know that I have some wonderful art and furniture, when it came down to it, they mattered very little.

What did matter:
Favorite photos of Justin and Taylor
My art supplies
My writing journal
Assorted papers for i.d.
Emergency money
All things related to Taylor's Wedding on Oct. 16th
A few books
Gum
Laptop
Cell phone and charger
Tax information--Uncle Sam may or may not excuse me for estimated and 2010 tax payments
Toiletries
All of Justin's birthday letters written to me over the years
Asthma inhaler
My pillow
My favorite black leather boots
Uggs
Lightweight Buddha Sculpture
Phone list of friends, family and clients
Necessary clothing

It is quite something to notice how much I can walk away from...very freeing in it's own right.
My ideas for 'letting go of my familiar shores' has a deeper meaning for me since I last posted something about that on my last blog entry. Venturing out to live somewhere (other than Boulder) which I have been contemplating of late, really feels significantly apt right now.

And, so, I will leave before dark, go to Carelli's and eat copious amounts of pasta  (way east of Broadway Avenue) and watch and wait to see how this all unfolds.

Gracie Garp

1 comment:

  1. what a freeing and empowering thing to know and go through. I don't think many of us in this life have to face that decision and you have done it with such ease and grace...the universe was just backing up what you already knew and watching you do it was just a way to show you it could be done....i love all the things you thought to take...love you mamma!

    ReplyDelete