Friday, April 16, 2010

The Bird Shit Blessing....

For what it is worth, two night ago while reading on my outdoor patio a bird shit on my head....I sent an email to the Tribe that I considered it a blessing of sorts: an ample closure to my sweet time living for the last two years in the Bilbo Hut; a visceral send-off to my new abode and,or, at least a good reminder to not get too heady about my recent good fortune and forget that some of my Dear Ones are still in the midst of the the throws of life meting out different kinds of shitty lessons. Of which, I believe, it is still possible to grow from with a modicum of believing that all things happen (or not) for the good of those who embrace their Basic Goodness.

For any of you getting shad on in this lifetime, I got some very interesting (and heretofore unknown) information on the different notions of what it portends to have a bird shit on your head. For your perusal and aviary-shit edification:

Taylor wrote: "In the Greek culture, a bird shitting on your head is good luck of the massive kind."

Cyn wrote: "It is a very good omen. When bird droppings land on your head many people believe this to be a major sign of wealth coming from heaven. Hence,although it is really yucky and a major inconvenience, when something like this happens to you, take comfort in the fact that this is described as good luck being just around the corner. In fact, most things associated with birds tend to spell good fortune, such as when birds fly to your home and begin making nests in and around your house. While bats bring abundance, birds bring good news and opportunities. Birds are also said to be powerful protectors and guardians. Even crows are said to be messengers of the Gods. So, welcome birds with open arms."

Darel (my dear satirist) wrote: "There must be a tribe somewhere that considers this a great omen. It is a sign of a Grand Stroke of Fortune that will soon be manifested. It is given only to Chosen Ones who have been selected by vote on Mount Olympus. You have been selected for your wisdom, kindness, charity, chastity, purity of thought and love for others. Graded on the aggregate: If you're deficient in any of those areas, your score in the others might carry you."

Apparently, this moment was fortuitous...I wish you all many bird droppings on your beloved heads.

Gracie Garp

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I just linked it to one of my drawings called "Sunny Side Up" on my blog.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been shit on once each month for the past three months. All of these were near a beach location and two were actually at the same location. Can I assume I will have a massive windfall? I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been shit on once each month for the past three months. All of these were near a beach location and two were actually at the same location. Can I assume I will have a massive windfall? I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an extraordinary piece as I presumed it was an insult. This has really helped me- thanks Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you need some good luck, I suggest you go to New York City and stand under the scaffolding outside of St. Patricks Cathedral on 5th Ave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was pooped on my forehead today by a bird while showing my husband a berry tree that these two guys were eating from earlier today...@ first I was embarrassed now I'm glad it happen now that I read this..thank to the gods in heaven.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got pooped on my right leg just above the knee while waiting for a taxi to go home and I didn't even notice it until one of my colleagues said and I quote you are a lucky man and I said why he said look at your leg the bird pooped on you and upon seeing that I also responded yes I am

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pooped on the top of my left hand...i have often known at the fiber of my being that i was chosen. the article refers to chosen ones... im gunna run with this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely a CHOSEN one highly favored. EXPECT GREAT THINGS

      Delete
  9. I was standing in line at belk with about 1000 people about 4:00pm on black friday. All the sudden I felt a pelt on my head & low and behold a bird picked me out of all those people & craped on my head. I hope I'm a chosen one for extreme welth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was standing in line at belk with about 1000 people about 4:00pm on black friday. All the sudden I felt a pelt on my head & low and behold a bird picked me out of all those people & craped on my head. I hope I'm a chosen one for extreme welth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work in greektown and a bird pooped on me as i was leaving for a native sweat ceremony im so grateful

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete